Featured Post

Introducing Crystal ...

Hello Educ 422 class! My Name is Crystal Villalobos. I was born and raised in Escondido, California. I have attended my elementa...

Sep 6, 2010

Introducing Crystal ...



Hello Educ 422 class! My Name is Crystal Villalobos. I was born and raised in Escondido, California. I have attended my elementary, middle and high schools all in Escondido. I started at Pioneer Elementary then went to Grant Middle School, and then to Orange Glen High School. During high school I also went to UC Berkeley for two summers for 6 weeks, living as a college student and taking courses there, with a program called Upward Bound Math and Science Program.  It was a very eye opening experience to what college what would be like, but overall I loved the experience! I ended up going away from home to UC Santa Barbara right after high school. I completed one year at UCSB and decided to return back home to be closer to family. After returning I attended Palomar College and studied about two years there as a mathematics major, hoping someday to become a high school math teacher. I then transferred to Cal State San Marcos where I took many higher level math courses and decided a high school math teacher was not the path for me, so then I changed to liberal studies major with an emphasis in math and now I wish to work with elementary or middle school students. Overall, I have always wanted to be a teacher and would like to give back someday to my community, helping others advance through their education. 
            After enrolling in this class and seeing the syllabus, it has been the first time that I have ever seen the COE mission statement, therefore it was not a factor in my decision to apply to CSUSM.  Although after reading the statement I have come to conclude that it speaks well of what educators should be, "committed to diversity, educational equity and social justice." I want to be part of this group of committed educators, who make positive impacts in students lives, but also someday become a role model to other teachers. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Crystal! It's cool to hear your path to pursuing a liberal studies degree. You'll definitely be marketable once you look for a job since you are skilled in math! Have you considered getting a math minor? That would look great for a middle school position, I'm sure. :) I agree with you that sometimes technology (especially the internet) can be slow and frustrating sometimes. I'm sure we'll learn some helpful tips in the class that will ease the frustrations. Thanks for sharing - see you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Crystal! First of all, I love your last name, that's my married name, I just haven't changed it yet! =) I also think it's great that you are majoring in liberal studies. And just like you, as soon as I got a phone where I could use the internet, I've started using it more often. It's great to know that you can look anything up on the internet where ever you are( as long as you get service)=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Crystal,
    Thats so cool that you were in the upward bound program, I knew a lot of kids in high school that loved that program. i didn't get to experience it, but i have pushed it on all the kids i know now that have the chance to join. Having a phone with internet is the best thing for a college student. My emails updates save me from coming to class when the prof has cancelled class, hope you enjoy it as much as i do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Crystal,
    Yea I grew up playing against Escondido, but also lived in Esco for a few years when I was little. Ya I also agree that having a phone with internet is key to being organized with school and work and life in general. see ya in class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey crystal I had a macbook also for a shot time, I loved it but I didnt get too familiar before it was stolen, I bought toshiba afterwards but I want another mac book soon! I also found the same part of the syllabus most interesting and also want to be part of a positive education program!

    ReplyDelete